Davis Cup A Disgrace Says Tennis Legend
Aussie tennis legend Todd Woodbridge has referred to the Davis Cup as a “disgrace”. Woodbridge’s comments came following drama surrounding a controversial decision over which country will be replacing Russia in this year’s finals.
Following the recent expulsion of Russia after the country’s invasion of Ukraine, the decision was made to extend a wild-card entry to Canada into the finals. Even though Canada recently lost 5-0 to the Netherlands, they’ve remained the highest-ranked losing nation. This was supposedly what had led to the International Tennis Federation’s (ATF) decision.
Fans and pundits, however, are of the opinion that instead of Canada, a nation that had won a World Group 1 qualification round should have been given the opportunity to compete.
Woodbridge was himself a two-time winner of the tournament. He claimed victory in 1999 and 2003.
But the Davis Cup is no longer the prestigious event it once was. After the contest was purchased by Kosmos Tennis in 2018, it underwent several fundamental changes in 2019. Whereas home and away ties were previously played all throughout the year, finals now take place at central locations as part of a round robin group stage format.
Australia had qualified to the finals following a 3-2 win over Hungary. And Hamburg, Glasgow, Bologna, and Malaga will all host four-team round robins in September. The Davis Cup knockouts will be staged in November in a different city.
Woodbridge said the way things are going with the event right now, it probably won’t survive the next five years.
TOP online betting SITESJune 2023
| ||5/5||100% Match up to $250 NZD|| Bet now|
| ||4.9/5||100% Match|| Bet now|
| ||4.8/5||Login to see promotions|| Bet now|
Trent Wilson is OnlineBetting.nz’s resident sports news expert. He draws on his extensive sporting knowledge, his qualification in sports management and his passion for betting to provide the latest, most up to date information on sporting events in New Zealand and across the globe. Trent is a veritable treasure trove of sports information and has been betting online for several years. He prides himself in keeping his readers informed, and in always offering an unbiased standpoint that reflects exactly what’s going on in the sports world. View Posts - Visit Website
You May Also Like:
With the Dubai Championships in full swing in the UAE, former champion Andy Murray will have to hold out a little longer for his 700th career win. Murray recently suffered a straight-sets defeat at the hands of Italy’s Jannik Sinner, while world No. 1 Novak Djokovic reached the quarter finals ….
World No. 1 Novak Djokovic is officially back in action following his controversy-fuelled deportation from Australia in January. Djokovic on Monday reached the second round of the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships when he beat wildcard entry Lorenzo Musetti 6-3, 6-3. The victory marked the Serb’s first match of 2022. ….
Tennis world No. 1 Novak Djokovic, who has declared himself willing to miss out on future Grand Slams because of his vaccination status, could be permitted to compete in this year’s Italian Open in Rome. Italy’s cabinet secretary for sports, Valentina Vezzali, announced this week that the Serbian will be ….
Tennis world No. 1 Novak Djokovic has now declared himself willing to forfeit the chance to be crowned the sport’s GOAT – as well as winning any further Grand Slam titles. Speaking to a prominent English news broadcaster this week, the Serb said while he did not wish to be ….
Craig Tiley, chief executive of Tennis Australia, has said he will not resign over the visa saga involving world No. 1 Novak Djokovic. Tiley said he did nothing wrong. He also strongly denied the allegation that Tennis Australia had footed Djokovic’s legal fees for fighting the withdrawal of his visa. ….